Restoring your blog’s files or database after a crash or something else is something you hope you’ll never have to do. Still, it is something you probably will have to do at some point. You need to know your method to get it done.I currently run 8 valuable blogs so I can’t afford to just say, “Oh well.”
After years of trial and error backing up databses (mostly error) I have finally arrived to a method I feel is superior to any I’ve yet run across. It involves no plugins and I use it for my WordPress self-hosted blogs.
1) Login to Cpanel (this assumes you have a Cpanel interface).
2) Go to File Manager
3) Select the Worpress blog folders you want to backup and click “compress”
4) Click to reorder the files by type so you see all the compressed folders at top.
5) Select the wordpress blog folders you want to download for backup, download them to your computer.
6) Now for the databases … go to the backup wizard selecting sql files. My path to it looks like this:
7) One by one, click and download zipped files of each.
8) Organize all zipped files according to blog. hint: You find out the name of the database for each blog in the wp-config file of a blog.
There is a lot of help on the web restoring these files but there is no help in the universe that can get files back you don’t have. Something to remember.